Things You Can Do After Finding Water Damage in Your Home
Discovering water damage in your Southeast Florida home can be concerning, but it’s crucial to take immediate action to minimize further damage and prevent mold growth. Water damage leads to mold and mold spreads quickly, damaging everything in its path.
What is Mold?
Mold are a type of fungus and like many other organisms, needs food and water to grow. It can feed off any dead organic material. Organic material includes cardboard boxes, wood, and even dust. Dust contains dead skin cells. Even with food around, the mold won’t grow without water.
Water damage is the leading cause of mold and it’s very important to fix after identifying it!
Professional Mold Remediation Services Will:
You Shouldn’t Ignore Water Damage
There are many consequences if you do not fix water damage. Some are consequences to your home and belongings. The mold will continue to thrive and multiply. As mold spreads, it will continue to damage your home. It can damage floors, walls, ceiling, furniture, photo albums and much more. The cost of repairs and mold remediation will be much lower if you fix water damage quickly.
There are also health related consequences. Mold can make you and your family ill. It causes allergies and respiratory problems.
- Nasal Discomfort
- Sore Throat
- Excessive Sneezing
- Trouble Breathing
Here Are Some Steps You Can Take After Finding Water Damage
- Ensure Safety: Before entering the affected area, make sure it’s safe to do so. If there is standing water or electrical hazards, turn off the power supply to the affected area.
- Stop the Source of Water: Identify and stop the source of the water intrusion, if possible. This could involve shutting off a leaking pipe, fixing a faulty appliance, or addressing roof leaks. Preventing additional water from entering the area is essential.
- Remove Standing Water: If there is standing water, use a wet vacuum, buckets, or towels to remove it. Promptly drying out the area will help prevent further damage and reduce the risk of mold growth.
- Dry the Affected Area: Increase airflow and ventilation in the area by opening windows, using fans, or running dehumidifiers. Remove wet materials, such as carpets, furniture, and drapes, and place them in a well-ventilated area to dry or seek professional restoration services.
- Assess the Damage: Thoroughly inspect the affected area to determine the extent of the damage. Check walls, floors, ceilings, and other structural components for signs of water damage, such as discoloration, sagging, or warping. Take photographs or document the damage for insurance purposes.
- Prevent Mold Growth: Since Southeast Florida is prone to mold growth due to its humid climate, it’s important to take steps to prevent mold from developing. Remove any wet or damp materials, and thoroughly dry the affected area within 24-48 hours. Consider using dehumidifiers to maintain optimal humidity levels and improve ventilation to prevent moisture buildup.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: If you have homeowner’s insurance, contact your insurance provider to report the water damage and initiate the claims process. Provide them with the necessary documentation, including photographs and any professional assessments or estimates.
Remember, water damage can have long-term effects on your home if not addressed promptly and effectively. Seeking professional assistance and taking proactive measures will help minimize the damage, protect your property, and ensure a healthy living environment.
You want to keep you loved ones safe. It is important to quickly fix water damage.
Contact a Water Damage Specialist For Help
Depending on the severity of the water damage, you may need to contact professionals such as water damage restoration companies like Suncoast Home Solutions We have the expertise and equipment to properly assess and mitigate water damage, including drying out the area, addressing structural repairs, and preventing mold growth.
If you do not fix water damage, the damage will continue to spread. We will come to your home any time of day. Keep yourself, your house and your family healthy. We will have emergency service specialists ready to help.